The safety and operational reliability of our pipelines is the very foundation for our business and is recognized as critical to assuring the Company’s ongoing success.
Safeguarding the Great Lakes
We’re committed to safety in the Straits.
Safety is one of Enbridge’s core values; it’s at the very foundation of our business. The people who live, work, and play near our pipelines expect us to operate safely, and the protection of the public and the environment is our highest priority. More than 100 Michiganders are employed or contracted with Enbridge, and they all play an important role in maintaining the safety and reliability of our pipelines and facilities.
The Straits of Mackinac is a special place, and that's why we take special precautions to ensure the continued safe and reliable operation of Line 5 as it crosses under the Straits.
We understand how important the Straits of Mackinac are to Michigan residents. The health and the protection of these waterways are essential to the vitality, sustainability, and the economic prosperity of the region – and the state of Michigan.
Enbridge's suite of extra safety measures at the Line 5 Straits crossing includes:
- Diligent, 24/7 monitoring of the crossing, using both human and automated resources;
- Regular inspections, using inline tools, expert divers, and remote operating vehicles (ROVs);
- Operating the line at less than 25 per cent of its maximum design capabilities, to minimize stress on the pipeline steel and enhance safety;
- Pursuing and advancing commercially available technology, including collaborations with Michigan Tech’s Great Lakes Research Center; and
- Supporting the Line 5 crossing’s extraordinary design and construction standards with proactive maintenance.
The Line 5 Operations and Maintenance, Line 5 Monitoring, Line 5 Inspections, Line 5 Innovation and Technology, and Line 5 History webpages offer further details on our commitment to safety at this critically important waterway.
Here is our Emergency Response Plan for the Superior Region, including Line 5 and the Straits of Mackinac. Please note: Portions of this document were redacted in order to protect personal and security related information. They include names and contact details of employees, contractors and others; locations of sensitive infrastructure; and sensitive security or response protocols. Proprietary company information of our partners may also have been redacted.